Monday, January 19, 2009

Indiana University Men's Basketball

I wanted to go on record now, in arguably some of the worst of times, to announce my unwaivering support for the IU Men's Basketball program. I grew up in Bloomington, IN with a younger, more connected Bobby Knight at the helm. I think his knowledge of the game was unquestioned, but as Gen Y slowly made its way into college, the differences in discipline and communication became too great and the ability to function as a team in Coach Knight's mold fell apart. It was hard to acknowledge the end of such a prosperous and successful run and so the transition has been quite painful. At last there was a full cleansing and I watch as the rebuilding begins.

IU sits at the bottom of the Big Ten and I am not sure if they will win another game. I am looking for 3 W's in the remaining contests, but when and where they will come is completely unknown. Tom Crean is a very good coach, I don't think he is as great a coach as IU might have gotten with a smoother transition, but the reputation of the program and the abundance of playing time available to incoming recruits should allow for a fairly quick recovery, at least back to the upper half of the Big Ten. National prominence could come as quickly as 3 years.

Sounds opptimistic, but if you think differently, you can suck it.

No comments: